Welcome to part two of the LWD 101 series! If you haven’t checked part one out yet, no worries you don’t have to read in order. Some of us like to be rebels, and I admire that.
Click here to read ‘LWD 101 – PART ONE: Find the Perfect Dress for your Body Type’ and find out which silhouettes and tricks will make your body look the best!
In this article we will discuss how to take a basic little white dress and wear it 15 different ways. All of the rules are applicable to any dress, so if you don’t own a LWD don’t freak out!
This is an important article because so many women get in the groove of wearing certain pieces the same way all the time. So if you’re looking to change things up a bit, or want to see all of the latest dress trends – you’re in the right place.
So what is the LWD? When you think of wardrobe classics, almost every woman knows about the little black dress. It’s basically a simple, go-to, timeless dress that can be worn to almost any more formal event. You can think of it as the mechanical pencil of school supplies. What most people don’t know is that the LBD is actually not an only child, she is the older sister to the LWD – little white dress. The LWD, is a little more versatile than the LBD because white comes off as a more casual color, but also a little trickier to style – kind of like the fountain pen of school supplies.
So without further adieu, I present 15 different trendy, cool, smart, and stylish ways to wear a dress…Enjoy!
1. Tie a Shirt Around your Waist While not only looking super cool and edgy, tying a shirt around your waist can help to break up your outfit to add interest. It also cinches you in a small part of your body – which is very flattering. This is a great trick for all dress lengths, but works especially well for a longer dress like both these ladies wore. –images via stylepantry.com & whowhatwear.com
2. Pair with Oxfords Take advantage these super comfortable shoes. Wear them sockless like these ladies did, or pair with ankle socks. Because who said menswear is just for the boys? –images via stylepantry.com & oliviapalermo.com
3. Toughen Up with Moto Moto jackets pair well with just about every dress, but pair especially well with anything girly (playing on masculinity and femininity) or a dress that has a soft shape (due to the difference in textures/materials). Instead of just wearing the same old black leather one, try what these girls did and experiment with a colored moto jacket! –images via guestofaguest.com & sheiseverythingallthetime.tumblr.com
4. Be a Gladiator Love to window shop at Free People? Want to relieve that festival you went to last month? Or just looking for a little boho chic? Gladiators are not only comfortable, they’re badass and have totally made a huge comeback this year. Which means tons of designers are making them, so you can find pretty affordable options. –images via lacooletchic.tumblr.com & beauty-bydesign.blogspot.com
5. Keep it Classy with a Blazer For an easy, put-together, simple look, try pairing your LWD with a blazer. Rosie and SJP show us that this style is great for an sophisticated lady who is grabbing lunch with friends, heading to the office, or getting your picture taken by the papparazzi. –images via vogue.com & refinery29.com
6. Stay Casual Cool in Sneakers Sneakers became popular last year when street fashion girls started pairing them with unexcepted girly outfits which, in turn, gave birth to instant coolness. Plus, if you need to catch your train, catch a theif, or you just want to ride your bike – you’re all set! –images via clochet.com & bestfashionbloggers.com/fashion-hoax
7. Try an Oversize Chain A short gold chain has taken over as the new pearl necklace for the past two years and does not seem to be stopping any time soon. No long reserved for just rappers, adding an oversize chain will add instant coolness and classiness – seems a little backward, but it’s true! –images via whowhatwear.com & memorandum.com
8. Cozy Up in a Oversize Cardigan Long cardigans are great because they are super comforatble, they keep you warm, and are super chic. For this style, try to keep the length longer than your dress or about the same length – this will give off a sexiess and illusion that your dress is on the shorter side, however you’ll be totally covered. Extra points if your cardigan is very fuzzy or has a fun texture to it. –images via whowhatwear.com & refinery29.com
9. Kick Booty with an Ankle Bootie Comfortable? Check. Adorable? Check. Versatile? Check. The easiest bootie to style with would be one that is form fitting to the foot. You want to try and stay away from booties with a large opening at the top. If the bootie looks too bulky, a lot of times it will take away from the outfit and also make you look shorter. –images via stylecaster.com & lucitisima.com
10. Throw on a Denim Jacket The ultimate summer essential is a denim jacket. I personally am usually always wearing jeans, so on the rare occasion I’m not, I always think to myself… “You know what this outfit is missing? Denim.” Extra points if you have a cool design on the back or some awesome patches. –images via jaymiranda.com & glamradar.com
11. Belt that Sucker By cinching in at your smallest part (just like tip #1) you will create a very flattering shape and define your proportions. If you in a situation where you need to hem a dress (like if the proportions are off) you can also use a belt to shorten the length by pulling the dress up and over the top of the belt. –images via glamradar.com & stlyecaster.com
12. Slip on some Ankle Strap Heels Looking for another girly, but edgy look? Ankle strap heels are great because they ooze feminity and sexiness. This is another popular shoe trend that hasn’t slowed down for the past few years. Due to it’s popularity, you can find many styles for an affordable price. Keep in mind the skinnier straps are easier to style because they don’t cut off your leg. (That sounds weird…) –images via glamradar.com & stlyecaster.com
13. Utility Jacket = Versatility Jacket One thing I tell my clients that always surprise them is that green can be a neutral. If you think about it, this color green (even a more muted version) goes with every color. For people that are scared of a lot of color, it’s one they can easily see themselves wearing. That’s why I consider it a neutral color. (P.S. I also consider navy a neutral color.) –images via chicmuse.com & whowhatwear.com
14. Paint it Red Even though I’m posting this as a tip, I know I can’t do this one – I’m way too accident prone…but just wearing a bold lip will make your dress stand out even more. Never forget that makeup is a very powerful accessory. –images via chicmuse.com & whowhatwear.com
15. Let your Accessories Speak Your white dress makes the perfect blank canvas for color, color, color, and more color. Whether it be a clutch (like these ladies), a bold necklace, or statement shoes – it doesn’t matter! Just make sure to express yourself. –images via merricksart.com & thesartorialist.com
front image via thespicystiletto.com & top image via itsybitsyindulgences.com