Every holiday we seem to scramble at the last minute to find a simple outfit that we could both eat with our parents, open gifts with the #squad, and also something you can party the night away in. That “simple” usually means something along the lines of… “Let me just throw on this dress and some heels like I do every year.” Well, this year isn’t like every year. Why not try out some of these outfits that will be sure to set you apart from the crowd? Image via colormecourtney.com & cover photo via bagatyou.com
Feeling a little groovy? (Ok, sorry that was cheesy.) The 60’s and 70’s have been having a huge impact on this year’s trends – from tall boots, to suede-everything, and even bell bottoms! Celebrate your holidays with something inspired from the past. I’m sure all your relatives will love to tell you about how cool they used to be (back in the day that is…). Over-the-knee boots pair well with almost anything that shows off your thighs. That even includes a high slit, so if you don’t like to go super short you can still style these bad boys with a maxi length.
1. Urban Decay Matte Revolution in ‘Blackmail’, $22.00 – 2. Forever 21 Beaded Rhinestone Star Studs, $4.90 – 3. H&M Suede Bucket Bag, $49.99 – 4. Steve Madden ‘Gorgeous’ Over-the-Knee Boots, $149.95 – 5. Boohoo Velvet Plunge Front Romper, $44.00
Holidays are often time about a certain romance in the air. So even if you’re single – you can love yourself girl! That being said, small delicate details will up your romantic feelings, but you don’t have too keep everything super girly. Instead, pair these soft items with slightly edgy pieces. For example, try darker colors for your make up, or a heavy necklace works well too. It’s all about balance!
1. Forever 21 Eyelash Lace-Hem Pencil Skirt, $17.90 – 2. Missguided Perforated Metal Clutch, $25.50 – 3. Stila Jewel Eye Shadow in ‘Amethyst’, $20.00 – 4. Topshop Strappy Plunge Cami Top, $38.00 – 5. BaubleBar ‘Jax’ Collar, $52.00
So of course an obvious for the holiday is sequins, sequins, and more sequins. If you’re going to do a statement piece that is covered in shine, make sure the rest of your outfit leans more on the basic side. Here, only the earrings are bold, while the rest of the outfit is very simple. The blazer length is long, this helps to balance out the short hem on the romper. Don’t worry if your coat is longer than your romper/dress hem – this has actually been very on trend for the past year. Because you’re showing a lot of leg, but balancing it out with a heavier coat, keep your shoes on the dainty side.
1. H&M Sequin Jumpsuit, $59.99 – 2. BaubleBar ‘Nolita’ Drops, $38.00 – 3. Zara Combined Lapel Coat, $169.00 – 4. ASOS Pilot Lace Up Pointed High Heels, $76.00 – 5. NARS Nail Polish in ‘Kalymnos’, $20.00
There are some other ways to really shine for the holidays without looking like a disco ball (but hey, don’t knock it if you haven’t tried it!). Beading, gems, embellishments, any of these small details will help make your outfit special. To keep from looking like you’ve thrown all your most special and decked out pieces together, make sure to stick to a basic color palette – maybe three colors at max. Remember, not every special outfit has to involve a heel! Instead, try a sleek boot or embellished flats.
1. Fire + Ice Fringe Drop Earring, $20.00 – 2. H&M Sequined Sweater, $39.99 – 3. River Island Black Embellished Clutch, $40.00 – 4. FRS Black Polka Dot PU Skirt,
$52.00 $41.60 – 5. Zara High Heel Ankle Boots with Strap, $49.50
If you like to go the comfy route like me, try pairing an over-sized sweater with super sleek leggings. Knit and (faux) leather make for a great polar opposites and therefore balance each other out. Keep with the ‘fuzzy knit’ theme and choose other fluffy accessories, like this amazing feathered purse. These tough pointed earrings, like these, will mirror the contrast of the leggings and round out the outfit. Show your ‘holiday shine’ with a festive glittery nail polish which matches perfectly with silver jewelry.
1. Forever 21 Faux Leather Skinny Pants, $22.90 – 2. Essie Winter 2015 in ‘Apres Chic’, $8.49 – 3. Monki Roll Neck Slouchy Sweater, $72.00 – 4. H&M Large Earrings, $9.99 – 5. Missguided Statement Fine Feather Bag, $42.50